On day 2, the organisers and exhibitors are ready for us early birds. Sunday typically sees significantly fewer people, a perfect opportunity to visit the Craft Rum Area. First up, Foursquare.
I sheepishly approach Peter Holland. It’s just gone 11am. “You can’t drink all day if you don’t start early“, he says. I’m in!
Foursquare Sagacity 12yo  Exceptional Cask Selection Mark XI 48% tFRP4.5/5
Pronounced with the emphasis on the ‘g’, sagacity refers to having wise or sound judgement. As a rum, Sagacity is a pot & column still single estate blend aged in ex-bourbon followed by a stint in ex-madeira.
- C: Juicy and delicious with fair complexity.
Scores 87 points
Foursquare Hereditas 14yo  Ob. TWE Exclusive Private Cask Selection 56% WN tFRP5/5 RD4/5
- N: Strong burned rubber tells us we are in high-strength, high-intensity sherry cask territory.
- T&F: There’s no subtlety about this one.
- C: Too much cask influence for my liking but once again I’m the odd one out. Others rave about it.
Scores 82 points
Foursquare 2004/2019 Ob. Patrimonio [6000 bts] 58% tFRP4.5/5
A single blended rum matured in a mix of ex-bourbon & ex-sherry casks.
- N: A complex rich mix of all sorts in every which way direction. Descriptors talk of an array of fruit oils, wood & garage workshops and a grape-y (sherried) fustiness.
- T: Sweet spicy and oaky with a gooey-chewy mouthfeel. The sherry cask influence is firm but not fixed. The result is a simply delicious rum, perhaps better than anything I tried yesterday at LM&V or in Ian Burrell’s masterclass with the exception of that amazing Alfred Lamb’s 1939 vintage stoneware jug [WLP90-92].
- F: Lots of depth here.
- C: Cask-y for sure but wow what a result.
Scores 91 points
Foursquare Pliznifotienliario 12yo  Un-Ob. 60%
I’m not 100% sure I’ve spelled this right, but would you check that handwriting. Being all-bourbon maturation, it’s pot-light and column-heavy. At Luca’s request, this is supposedly a ‘one-time’ experiment from Richard Seale to please Luca’s penchant for a heavier more characterful spirit.
- N: This talks of a robust vegetal-freshness.
- T: Vegetal again, we are getting into yeast extract-depths.
- F: Certainly spicy yet perfectly drinkable neat. In fact, water doesn’t necessarily ease the spiciness. At the death, however, there’s a long sugar cane finish which pushes this one into the top league.
- C: One damn fine experiment.
Scores 90 points
3 thoughts on “Rumfest 2019: Foursquare”