Following on from Part 1, in Part 2, we crack on with a trio of ryes.
Orange County Distillery Aged Rye Whiskey Ob. 48.2% [375ml]
- C: Distilled from locally grown grains, it’s a rye with some freakiness.
Scores 80 points
Limestone Branch Distillery Straight Rye Whiskey 2yo  Ob. Minor Case 45% [75cl] WB80
‘,.. this rye whiskey is named after the founders’ ancestor: Minor Case Beam. Part of the famous bourbon-making Beam family, Minor Case worked as a distiller until 1920, when prohibition forced him to cease, and died less than a year after the ban on his life’s passion was lifted. This is a two-year-old rye whiskey which has been finished in sherry casks for six months.’ [TWE]
- N: Cereal-y.
- T: Refreshingly soft cask action [for US whiskey], makes this a relaxed, fruity presentation.
- F: [no notes]
- C: My short & scant notes don’t reveal that this is a whiskey right up my street. One to buy!
Scores 84 points
F.E.W. Flaming Lips  Ob. Brainville Rye Whiskey [5000 bts] 40% [75cl] WB86.33
- N: Not to be confused with Compass Box’s Flaming Heart [blog], this is an intriguing and subtly grain-based snifter that delivers sweet spices, soft varnish, butterscotch, almonds and unusual herbal candy.
- T: A nicely blended, soft/accessible start, pleasantly woody with berries, caramel, vanilla, almonds > butterscotch,… and pistachios?
- F: I picked out balsamic vinegar, allium and wax. There’s plenty of wood, but in character rather than volume, if that makes sense.
- C: Given there is some depth, this is frustratingly overly tempered yet unthinkably quaffable.
Scores 84 points
Strathisla 15yo [06/07/2014] Un-Ob. Distillery only Batch #2 Bottled by Billy Abbot [btl #88] 55.9% [WB]86.78
- C: A straight-ahead Spey number, though the high strength helps it no end.
Scores 85 points
Laphroaig Cairdeas Feis Ile 2018 Ob. ‘Fino Cask Finish’ 52.8% WB85.77
- N: Another Laphroaig, this time with a fino finish – one Billy described as “filthy fino”. My limited notes mention smoked straw, lemon-y kippers and raw onions.
- T: Onion-y smoked barley, the fino seemingly promoting the spirit as all good finishes should do.
- F: Appropriate.
- C: I tend to pass these Cairdeas offerings by as faddy festival fayre, and yet the occasional few I’ve tried have been very good.
Scores 86 points
Springbank 12yo  Ob. CS Batch #14 54.2% WB87.78
- N: Let’s finish strong. Who else but Springbank to help us home, with this sticky, deep-waxy, fruity, firm & consolidated dram.
- T: Strong & permeating, waxy > fruity < coppery arrival with touches of rubber and thick rice paper – yet every sip varies.
- F: Creamy > heathery-straw.
- C: Matt recalls this as being all farmy a few years ago. Either way, I loved this as it is today.
Scores 87 points
Many thanks to Billy & Elise.