It’s about time we had another Tomatin Tuesday. The last was in September 2017 [blog].
Tawny: the oloroso of port? Expect to see a lot more tawny finishes coming along from Tomatin and elsewhere.
- N: With a full two year tawny finish, it’s perhaps unsurprisingly rather sweet, which probably explains why it’s proved so popular amongst customers.
- T: Same again, hitting the sweet spot with lots of sultana juice and fruity biscuit crumble. Dalmore-esque at times.
- F: Peach crumble to finish.
- C: Whilst a successful marriage for some, others will simply hate this style. Like with Springbank’s Longrow Red, I’m in the middle somewhere.
Scores 84 points
Tomatin 2008/2018 10yo Ob. cask #3373 [btl #203/250] 59.3% WB93
A first fill ex-bourbon single cask bottling exclusively for the UK.
- N: We are in SMWS territory with youthful bourbon-matured CS spirit.
- T: Same again, familiar SMWS-like fayre.
- F: Predictable conclusions.
- C: Straight ahead slugger.
Scores 82 points
The Half-time Orange whistle is blown and a jovial collective cheer fills the Mansfield Traquair.
Tomatin brought out batch 1 of their 36yo expression in 2015. Batch 2 & 3 came out in 2016. According to a Tomatin marketing representative: unsure whether they could maintain enough old stock, this latest [2017/18] release is unofficially batch 4. Happy that they can maintain this age statement with suitable 70’s & now 80’s stock, Tomatin will re-continue the batch system with the release of batch 5 in 2019.
- N: Starts with a sweet maltiness that only age brings. Additionally, there’s a floral-mineral quality, entwined with compact notes of sweaty-sweet shower gels. Fabulous!
- T: Tastes as it smells which is great news. Abound with chalky, squidgy sweet fungal notes set within a soy sauce umami frame and leading to a very chewy waxy maltiness.
- F: Part of that chew is the finish that concludes with more sweet fungal malty dunnage action. Aged balance to the last.
- C: One that will compete closely with BBR’s 1979 Single Blend [WB], for Malt of the Fringe [notes to follow].
Scores 91 points
Previous Tomatin Tuesday’s: