Can you stand anymore? There was an after party, but dont worry it was a concise one – four Japanese malts to help put the night in context, right ;]
Nikka Coffey grain 1995/2008 12yo cask #179005 63% WB85
- N: Compared to the NAS version we had just previously tried, this is double the age for starters and already showing some varnishing with a abv-huge wood-corn balance.
- T: Corn-fruity-varnish. Same enormity again as the nose.
- F: Fairly short, succulent-dry fruity varnish.
- C: Worlds apart from todays  NAS version.
Scores 84 points
How about a temporary switch to Suntory stock:
- C: The profile is uncannily similar alongside its older [21yo] sibling – what Serge recently described as ‘an obvious parentage’. Personal preference may sway you one way or the other but both the 17 & 21yo are excellent whiskies, though I became disengaged with this one after a while.
Scores 82 points
- N: Soft-rich fruits (blood orange, frangipane-cherry, marmalade, orange blossom, wild strawberries, raspberry leaf tea wrapped in plasticine, fusty peppery dunnage, yes! Like a genie of the lamp, i seem to get exactly whatever I ask for.
- T: Woody-fruity-sugary with thick-deep bitter putty – the oak has a bite, soft yes but a bite nevertheless.
- F: Not a long finish.
- C: Another case of the 1,2 & 3’s – nose>palate>finish.
Scores 86 points overall [nose 90+]
One more for the road then and appropriately, a [Nikka] Taketsuru oldie.
- N: Incredibly similar profile to the 21yo Hibiki – though more woody.
- T: Thin/acute aniseed attack. Also oily>waxy.
- F: Blackberry juice finish.
- C: Decent but not one thats going to quite beat the Hibiki tonight. Maybe this got rather tired in the bottle.
Scores 85 points
Back to Pikka Nikka [Intro]: LINK